Sunday, October 31, 2010

Just Embarrassing


So, when thinking of my most embarrassing moment, the typical examples began to come to mind. There were plenty of moments when my jaw dropped in utter shock and many where I would unknowingly have my pants pulled down. However, one that really stood out in my mind was one from the sixth grade.

Back in the sixth grade, I was quite the nerdy “goody-two-shoes”. Sporting the typical comb-over haircut, I always tried to stay out of trouble and make sure I received all A’s. In fact, I remember a time a few years before that when I failed a music test due to the lack of a pencil and began to cry. At that age (about 12), kids had just begun to explore the premature dating atmosphere. People would have “boyfriends” and “girlfriends” who they would hang out with and “make out with”. The gossip going around the sixth grade always involved who everyone in the grade “liked”, meaning the person they cared about and found cute.

All of these terms seemed to be Spanish in my mind, as I knew nothing about the dating world. However, there was a girl that I did, in fact, “like”. She was the girl who lived down the block from me for my entire life. She would come over week after week to play soccer in my front yard and ride bikes together. Unfortunately, that trend diminished once the dating scene began, as she began to like boys instead of simple pleasures like soccer and bike riding. Also, this was a girl who I continued to be embarrassed in front of. In the second grade, I tried to seem very impressive by riding my brand new bike and somehow flipped over the handle bars and broke my wrist. In the fourth grade, her sisters made fun of me for having a crush on her, directly in front of her.

This day was like any other day in the sixth grade (possibly a Wednesday). The day before, I had just told my friend that I “liked” this girl and hoped with all confidence that he would be able to keep a secret. Of course, I was wrong. My class had just finished a fun class in library and were walking back to our regular class room. Just then, this girl turned around, looked me straight in the eyes, and said, “Eric, I like you.” My jaw dropped in disbelief, and I, with my sweet comb-over haircut, fell into the wall. However, my friend, who I had entrusted my secret in the day before, stood right next to her laughing, along with the entire class. There I was, thinking the girl I liked for so long liked me back, only to be embarrassed in front of my entire class.

No comments:

Post a Comment